The purpose of homework at Tapton is to enthuse, embed, improve, apply or extend the learning that takes place in the classroom. Tasks will be set as and when they are appropriate and this will differ for each department and in different key stages/year groups. Homework makes an invaluable contribution to learning in every subject area. Homework supports the development of learning behaviours – particularly key Tapton Learner Levels such as resourcefulness, resilience and reflectiveness. Departments and other teams in school work together to ensure all students have every opportunity to access and complete the homework (e.g. Vision Support department, AEN team, Homework clubs). Homework is assessed in various ways and subject leaders have given subject specific details in the course outlines.
Here are the developments you will see in homework during 2017-18
- All homework for years 7-13 will be set on Show My Homework. All students must regularly log on to Show My Homework. Students will be guided through the process of logging on at the beginning of the academic year.
- Students will be issued with a school planner which can be used to record and manage homework if they wish.
- Homework will be set in a timely way.
- At Key Stage 3 we are currently trialling new and innovative ways of using homework to support progress. This includes weekly reading homework in English, the use of Maths Watch in Maths and regular vocabulary practise in languages – all of which support mastery. Across the curriculum we are moving towards more extended tasks to allow time for deeper learning to take place.
- We reward our students for the completion of homework in the first term of Year 7. This is designed to support and encourage them as they get into the routine of meeting deadlines and taking responsibility for their learning. No detentions are set for homework during this time.
Non-completion of homework is tackled in the following ways:
- Classroom teachers will deal directly with any non-completion issues. If homework is still not completed a sanction is put in place by the subject teacher (i.e. break or lunch detention) and students complete the work at the agreed time.
- Every half term we will collate the names of students who have not logged onto Show My Homework and circulate these names with Subject Leaders for cross referencing. Where a student has clearly not engaged with Show My Homework we will follow up with both students and parents. Students will be encouraged to use before school homework clubs in order to log on to Show My Homework and complete outstanding tasks.