Food for Thought, Life and Wellbeing is a daily concept for the department, using practical skills to demonstrate theory. Non practical lessons continue the interactive theme, including sensory analysis, taste testing and product evaluation.
Tapton School offers a Level 3 Diploma in Science and Nutrition in Sixth Form.
key stage 3 curriculum content
Students will study Food for half of the school year. The other half will be spent studying a Technology.
- Experience working in groups and as individuals to develop competency and confidence in the use of food materials and equipment
- Build knowledge of healthy eating
- Develop understanding of nutrition.
- Explore a wider range of food materials and increase practical skills
- Complete projects based upon Food Safety and Food Provenance.
Students will study Food for the full year in Year 9 for two hours per week. They will complete a number of projects throughout the year:
- World Foods
- Level 1/2 Hospitality and Catering Taster Project
- GCSE Food Preparation and nutrition Taster Project
- Love Food Hate Waste
- Festivals, Foods and Celebrations
- Just how Unhealthy is it?
key stage 4 curriculum content - hospitality and catering
Students will study towards their GCSE through a mixture of practical and written examinations. Tapton School follows the Eduqas specification.
Unit 1 - Hospitality and Catering Industry
This will be taught during the first year and students will sit an external electronic exam at the end of year 10. We will then revise and review the unit in Year 11 as students will be given another opportunity to sit the external exam - their best grade will be counted.
Unit 2 - Hospitality and Catering in Action
This will be taught throughout the two years and will be internally assessed through a portfolio of evidence and a practical assessment.
key stage 4 curriculum content - food preparation and nutrition
Students will study towards their GCSE through a mixture of practical and written examinations. Tapton School follows the AQA specification.
Students will study key themes:
- Food nutrition and health
- Food Science
- Food Safety
- Food Choice
- Food Provenance.
Students will be asked to complete two pieces of non-exam assessment:
- Food Investigation Report
- Food Preparation Assessment.