Aspiration and Excellence
The aims and philosophy for Tapton’s Aspiration and Excellence programme are:
- To ‘aspire higher’ - an ethos for all pupils to challenge themselves at every stage of their learning.
- To provide a growing ‘Aspirations and Excellence’ cohort with a comprehensive offering of ‘super curricular’ and enrichment provision.
- The Aspiration & Excellence cohort will be role-models in the school: academically committed, intellectually curious, and leaders in promoting a growth mindset. They are pupils who share and develop their cultural capital within the umbrella of Tapton's educational as well as social values: valuing everyone, caring for each other, achieving excellence.
Key work that we do is:
- Our key focus this year is oracy – speaking with persuasion, passion, and style. After extensive research on the benefits of high level oracy in the classroom, and completing comprehensive professional training in the area, we have decided to run a whole school ‘Debating Day’, followed up with a Sheffield School’s Debating Competition.
- Read more on the research area, and resources for home, here:
- Regular monitoring of student tracking leads to intervention for those students who are designated More Able but underachieving or who have poor grades in five or more of their subjects.
- Our growing focus on increasing our pupils applying successfully to competitive Russell Group universities, means the Aspirations and Excellence coordinator works closely with the post-16 careers team in offering open days, ‘university style’ experiences, and challenges for our thriving sixth form.
- Assessments throughout all key stages should have the criteria available for achievement at the highest levels (e.g. KS3 level 8 GCSE/A Level A*). Appropriate feedback on how to attain these highest levels is expected.
- Aspiration and Excellence is delivered foremost in its most impactful way – through our outstanding classroom teachers, through teaching & learning.
For enquiries or queries, please contact:-
Aspirations & Excellence Coordinator